Friday, December 14, 2012

When the World Doesn't Make Sense

Right about now- we want answers.

As human beings, we desperately need to make some sense out of our lives. It has been that way since the beginning of time. It's the reason people tell stories, and make mythologies, and feel the need to tell the lives of our many Gods.

But sometimes- it just doesn't make sense. Sometimes, no matter why or for whatever reason it just doesn't damn matter. I think this is one of those times.

Even if we can figure out why this happened- all of these little babies losing their lives- even if we get inside this shooters head and figure out why he felt the need- it doesn't matter. Cause it just shouldn't have happened.

I guess it's one thing when we lose people to disease or natural disaster, those things seem so much bigger and out of our control but this this feels like we could have and should have prevented it.

And then there are those getting mad about potential politicizing- I have no problem with what our President said. Hell he's right- this should NOT happen and we should do something to make sure it doesn't. When our country was attacked by Al Qaeda  we called President Bush a hero for stating America would not stand by this. And I am a Republican(-ish). We don't know what exactly our President meant by his statement.

Anyways, and that's not even my real point. My point is, this is just one of those times- even if we did know why it happened, even though hell I want to know why it happened- because it's just our own human reaction to want to know- to have to reason through it.... but sometimes we cannot have the answers. Sometimes there just isn't an answer. And even if we do get an answer, does it even really matter? I think not. Whatever answer we have, this should not have happened.

May God be with these families, I pray for some relief for those who died, for those who survived, for anyone and everyone touched by this. Whatever God you pray to, whatever means you use to send kind thoughts towards those you care about- may you please employ them now.

As for me, I know I'll be hugging my kids that much tighter tonight, they can watch Cinderella as much as they want and I won't even think of getting tired of it, and bedtime might have to be a little later this evening.

EDIT:

There's been a lot of talk about gun control/not taking away 2nd Amendment rights. I'm super torn on this because I do believe in keeping one's second amendment rights but I also believe those children had a God given right to live. I don't think God gave me the right to bear arms. God gave me the RESPONSIBILITY to preserve the lives he has placed on this earth. God also gave me the right to free will. Does that mean gun control? I don't know. But what I would like to see is if someone wants to argue against gun control, that they offer another solution or idea as well. Cause I can promise you this- if I were those parents, and even though I am not- I damn sure don't want something like this to ever happen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment