Saturday, February 23, 2013

Lots to Catch Up On- and Tickets to Win

So, I'm going to test out merging my Around Town blog over here, cause frankly the blog title "Would You Like Some Wine With That...?" could apply to more than just cooking and other lifestyle events. And since I am corrolating "wine" with "whine" then my editorial opining can fit in here as well.

So. Yeah. Anyways...

As for my goings on 'round town I do have quite a bit to catch up on. For one- the Civic Club show. I went with a friend that Gala night on Friday and saw many of the usual suspects: Betsy and Keith Fitzgerald, David Quackenbush and Steven Fulbright, Tori and Jerry Jennings, etc. The show itself was a rather large undertaking as per usual, but my favorite part wasn't even the singing this go round but the parts between skits where different characters would pop up and making joking commentary. I also rather enjoyed Steve Solomon's role at "Bigfoot". The best part of this show are always the jokes at the expense of people you know around town as well as various political characters. To be honest- I miss being able to hear the C Jack jokes. Oh well. I'd rather miss those jokes than have him in office. The scary thing is- he will probably run under the new consolidated government. Pray for otherwise...

I made another trip to The Grand for the Clifford Live! show with my sweet babies. Cindy Hill was doing the red carpet even for the little ones:


My sweet babies had SO MUCH FUN- oh my gosh I can't wait til the next one. I was happy to see other parents I knew in the crowd, and that the house was rather packed. We actually were able to snag one of the box seats, as it was open seating, and it was definitely the way to go. Babies were laughing and singing and having a ball. We won't miss the next one!

As for other events- today we also went to the Mercer women's and men's basketball games. I swear it seemed like all of Macon was there- my kids had a great time, too. And Mercer really has a fantastic facility- I am aware of it because I am finishing my undergrad studies there (Jesus finally) but I'm not sure how aware Macon as a whole is. Mercer does SO much for Macon as a whole, not just the students and College Hill area but really enriches all of our town. We should give back by attending more of their functions, not just the athletics ones, too.

Now- future events. I have two big ones coming up I will be attending. One is Project Trio with the Macon Symphony on March 9th, here's a YouTube video, it's probably easier to watch this to start off:


To quote the Macon Symphony's press release:

" On March 9th at 7:30pm, the Macon Symphony Orchestra will perform a concert backing
PROJECT Trio, a flute, cello, and bass combo that is pushing the boundaries of chamber music with a
high-octane mix of classical, jazz, hip-hop, and rock." I am a big music fan in general, and of all genres, so when I have the chance to see a live performance of classical instruments performing a mix of all types of music- I take it. Gosh and it's right here in Macon- how freakin cool is that?!

The weekend before that is The Big Bird Bash- I'm pretty sure most of my friends are aware of the Bash and the line up they are presenting but in case you aren't here's a quick breakdown: Gringo Grande, Drivin' and Cryin', Back City Woods AND Drive By Truckers. Guess who has two tickets to give away? Me!!!

How am I going to choose the winner? How about this: tell me (either here in comments or on Facebook or hell email me at makeitworkmolly@gmail.com if you want) what you love about Macon's current musical offerings. I want to hear something positive about music in our town- not just where we have come from but where we are going and how we keep turning out great acts. Myself and Kristen Thompson O'Neal will pick the winner based on the answers we get.

Looking forward to seeing yall around!

3 comments:

  1. Hey yall! Looks like the comments are working again

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is so much musical talent in Macon that I think perfectly describes the variety of people who make up Macon. Any type of music you enjoy, Macon has a band for that. In one weekend you have the opportunity to hear everything from bluegrass music to rock music to gospel music to open mike nights that showcase up and coming talent. If it's a type of music that exists, then someone in Macon is performing it and if you can't find any Macon music that you enjoy, you clearly aren't looking hard enough because it's everywhere!

    ReplyDelete